Wednesday, December 15, 2010

The Act of Kindness

"What gift is always appreciated, costs nothing, but rewards the giver with great happiness and health? The gift of kindness provides all this and more."

Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the and the blind can see. ~Mark Twain

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. ~Aesop

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness. ~Audrey Hepburn

Kind words can be short and easy to speak but their echoes are truly endless. ~Mother Teresa

Whenever you are confronted with an opponent, conquer him with love. ~Gandhi

It is when you give of yourself that you truly give. ~Kahil Gibran

Choose being kind over being right, and you'll be right every time. ~Richard Carlson

Real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out. ~Frank A. Clark

How beautiful a day can be when kindness touches it! ~George Elliston

Don't wait for people to be friendly, show them how. ~Author Unknown

Yesterday, the act of kindness found me. I can't even tell you how wonderful the feeling was. Life hasn't been easy the last two years. A lot of the time I can pretend that everything is okay, and I keep moving along day to day. But there are some days that just throw you on the down and you feel the kicks to the stomach truly begin to take their toll. Things have been better though lately; I mean how could they not? I got a B+ in my math class! To me that was the greatest success and most positive action that could come my way. It was due to my hard work! But still... sometimes you just need something uplifting throughout your day. Thanks to Rachel, my blogging buddy who I have never actually met, my day was brightened. Here is the link to her blog: http://howfickleiswoman.blogspot.com/ Seriously, cutest blog ever!! So go check it out right now!

Rachel and I met on 20sb and instantly became close. It's so funny that a perfect stranger can have so much in common with you, and we do! Every time we speak a smile spreads across my face :) Just her kind words and our commonalities are what make me happy; but Rachel went the extra mile for me. When I was having a horrible day, "Debby Downer" day in fact, she asked for my address. I thought maybe I would get a little nice note... but what I received yesterday was so much more. Take a look:

How cute is she?? Best care package I've EVER received in my life. There was the most adorable card that honestly in itself brightened my day. I posted a picture of it below and I'm going to frame it and put it in my room actually :) Then she gave me the cutest shower cap I've ever seen! I just want to hang it up and marvel the adorableness of it or put it on and dance around the house while reading the signed book she gave me called Dancing Naked... in fuzzy red slippers. Then she had wrapped even more: cute socks, lip sticks, and hot cocoa mix. She went out of her way to do all of this for me! Wrap each invididually and write little notes to me. Even my best friends have never done anything like this for me when I was feeling down. I think that's what meant so much to me. Stranger is just a word that doesn't define who we are... at least not to me anymore. She is now my good, good friend. :)

Rachel,

Thanks again for this act of kindness. You inspired this blog post!! It's all about you :) Thank you for showing me that there is good still in this world and that if you let people in your heart, it will be completely worth it. Thank you for being such a good friend and I hope I can show you the same act of kindness that you have shown me. You are amazing, beautiful, and all the icing on top... with a cherry!! So many wonderful things are headed your way.

Thanks again,

Jess

xo.

13 comments:

  1. Aw this post just made me cry! It is so wonderful to find an amazing friend in this world, even though we live thousands of miles away and have never met (we will meet someday though!). I am glad I could brighten your day because you deserve so much happiness, and even though you are enduring a rough time right now, sometimes those points of darkness pave the way for the most beautiful of days. Stay strong sweet girl and know you always have a friend in me, and a long happy future ahead of you!
    xo
    Rach

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG you two are aaaadorable. that was so so sweet of rachel. xoxo jcd

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw, that is so sweet of her! what an amazing friend :) the people we can meet over the internet is just mind blowing, isn't it? a wonderful way to meet people who we'd never have a chance to meet otherwise. i'm glad you're feeling a bit better now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting here through my friend Jill's blog.

    Great post! It's not often people take the time to put something like this together(especially at this busy time of year). Says a lot about what she thinks of you.

    PS: Major brownie points for the photo of the Eiffel Tower in your sidebar. If you look in the lower left corner you'll see the piece of my heart I left there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredibly kind friend you have! Kind friends are the best. I kind of have one like that. Once my boyfriend and I broke up, and like 2 days after, I got this great card in the mail from her.
    Hope you're not having such a debbie downer day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post made my heart smile:)! I love reading Rachel's blog and you are so right about finding great friend's through the blog world! I hope happiness continues to follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome. :) I am so glad that two kind awesome girls managed to connect through blogging!!! It's incredible how a gesture so small can really make such a huge difference!!!

    xo,
    Casey
    www.blondebargainbabe.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rach! I'm sorry it made you cry; meant every word though :) You are very special to me and thanks again for making my day extra special. I'll never forget it.

    Everyone else, thanks for the comments. Hope you make a blog bestie just like I have :)

    xoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post was really touching. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love this post. Believe it or not, Jess you've done the same thing to me through 20SB. Every thing you've said to me has always been kind and uplifting :) --you've inspired me to believe in myself and have confidence in my postings and i appreciate that more that you can know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww CurlaBella :) What a nice comment. I'm glad I have inspired you. That just made my day!! That's what I want to do in life; make a difference. You are amazing & I love your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your blog :) And these quotes :)
    *FOLLOWING!* :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks love!!! Love new followers :)

    ReplyDelete