Sunday, December 12, 2010

Movie Messages

Call me sentimental... but lately I have been watching a lot of movies. I feel like I always have a different movie for the mood I'm in. But lately, there has been really good movies on TV. Maybe because it's in the holiday season.

First there has been the marathon of Indiana Jones! My step-dad and I watched the whole thing yesterday; it was nice to be able to do that with one another. I love spending time with him right now... might not have many more of those moments, so I am going to enjoy every second of it. I love the Indiana Jones show though! So much adventure and I love the archeology integrated into it. I was always really interested in pyramids, mummies, old artifacts... those things just interest me so much. So maybe that's why I like it... and for the fact that Harrison Ford is so good looking :) He can show me how to use that whip anytime (whoa that sounded a lot worse than it was intended to be ha.) And the marathon continues tonight - I love the new one because of Shia... mmhmm.


Next I watched Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs :) This wonderful classic is what really changed everything for Walt Disney. There is so much creativity put in the Disney movies... and it makes me feel like a child again watching them; you need that in your life every now and again.


Now I'm watching Titanic. What is there to say about this movie? More of, what's there not to say about this movie. Everything about watching this takes me on a trip down memory lane. This movie came out when I was in 6th grade and I was completely obsessed, like most girls in the world. Leonardo DiCaprio gets me every time. There is so much history that goes along with this show... that's what makes me cry whenever I watch it. I love the love story in this show; it's epic and you see how much chemistry Leo and Kate really have. By the way, Kate Winslet is one of my favorite actresses. She's amazing and so talented, and she is always so humble and accepts the way she is. Won't lose a million pounds for a role and that's what I admire. I always wanted them to be together in real life... ha, maybe someday! You don't see this type of love story these days I feel like. Titanic is amazing because it makes you realize that having a lot of money means nothing, it definitely doesn't bring you happiness. I love that Rose starts living when she meets Jack - he brings that side of her out! And she makes the promise in which she "never let's go" of. It's incredible truly and it makes me want to go do amazing things with my life. Beautiful and epic forever.

A lot of people might not know the next one, but I love it. The name of it is How to Make An American Quilt. I'm a huge believer in fate... and I feel like this movie has a lot of that in it, as well as the theme of love and friendship. These women tell a story by making this quilt. It really is incredible and makes me want to fall in love so much. The soundtrack is probably one of my favorite soundtracks ever!! Go listen to the song which is the main theme song to this movie. Here is a link on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om5viv8AfPA I'm big with music and am constantly listening for the amazing songs that truly make TV and movies what they are!! Here is one more song that I couldn't help but put the link to from the same movie - this song goes to the really sad tale... oh man so good:
It really is so good and has so many memorable quotes. Here are some of my favorites:
  • "Young lovers seek perfection. Old lovers learn the art of sewing shreds together and of seeing beauty in a multiplicity of patches."
  • "As Anna says about making a quilt, you have to choose your combination carefully. The right choices will enhance your quilt. The wrong choices will dull the colors, hide their original beauty. There are no rules you can follow. You have to go by instinct and you have to be brave."

Last but certainly not least :) Is the movie It's A Wonderful Life. I love this movie and it's always perfect around the holidays even though I think it has a bigger meaning than just something that should be shown at Christmas time. This story honestly is an old-time classic and really shows you the meaning of your life. One man can change everything; so the next time you are feeling down on yourself, think where the world would be without you. Even if you are aware of it or not, you have changed someones life. This movie reminds us that selfless acts are always important and doing things for others, really makes all the difference in the world.

My favorite scene in the entire movie, is after Clarence has shown George what the world would've been like if he hadn't been born. He runs back to bridge and starts crying. He finally starts praying to God and says, "I want to live again... I want to live again." It's so emotional and in that one scene, it makes me appreciate life and all my blessings. You need to believe in yourself and see how wonderful you really are. I really didn't do a good job on that last week, and I watched this movie almost right after I found out I did so well in my math class. It was as if it was sending me a message.


I also love the scene at the very end when everyone is helping George and they bring him money when he is having a hard time. Every single person he had helped was there to take care of him when he needed it most. And his brother says, "To my big brother George, the richest man in town." You know that's true because he is loved and respected by everyone. I want that :)

I think from watching movies, you can really gain so much. It can really change my mood in a heart beat and sometimes that's all you really need. It's not just sitting there and wasting time when you are bored; if you truly listen and open your eyes you will see the true messages that each film has to offer. It can really make a difference in your life... it has for me. That's why I love writing so much; I get this same feeling when I read a great novel and I want to spread messages just like this someday whether it's in the form of a children's book, a young adult novel, or both!

Here is a quote from Clarence the angel: "Remember no man is a failure who has friends." So thank you for all being my friends :) Your kind words this week really got me through some rough times. I thank you all for that and hope you are feeling the Christmas spirit.

xo.

4 comments:

  1. Okay so, I too watched Indiana Jones yesterday as well as Titanic! Except, I watched Titanic twice! Crazy, I know, I just adore that movie too. And then after that, I watched The Holiday with Kate in it as well. She's just so classy. I love watching her! Thanks for sharing!
    Xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, well I didn't mention it in the post... but I actually watched Titanic twice as well :) Love the Holiday! I watched that last week. Very classy. Thanks for following!

    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah my god! i love loved titanic- like obsessed w LCD. i watched it the other day on tv and he looks SO young! kate winslet is def one of my favorites too, shes so classy and put together but REAL. i also watched an american quilt the other week (we must have similar dvr settings). i liked this one a lot-- esp the swimmer story. movies are the best. xoxo jcd

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking about how I need to watch "Titanic" soon! It always makes me cry, but in a good way I think. Plus Leo is gorgeous :) Yep renting that during break for sureeee!

    ReplyDelete