Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Teaching Tuesday

"A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove...but the world maybe different because I was important in the life of a child."

Mother's Helper Daycare - Miss Jessi's Students 05-07.

I am beyond thrilled to be back in a classroom. Because I'm graduating in the spring, I'm student teaching this semester. I was a little overwhelmed, but today was my second day in the kindergarten classroom that I'm teaching in and I've got to say that I can see why this is my calling in life. Being around children again makes me beyond happy. A few years ago I taught at a daycare called Mother's Helper, a daycare I went to when I was little. I worked there for two years - and when I quit, I left a piece of my heart with my students. It's so hard not to get attached to your children, but you have to let them go. I know that they learned so much from me and that made it all worthwhile. That collage up there I found on none other than my myspace account that I never ever go on anymore. I made that collage my last day of work; two weeks I took pictures and videos to remember my students forever. Then a few years later, before I could save it all on a disc, my laptop was stolen and so were all of them. This is the only thing I have left of them, and those are just some of the many students I grew to love. I have that I guess :) It's a piece at least.

About a year ago I did lab teaching training at a private school called Rowland Hall. This school is beyond amazing and it showed me that for at least some time while I'm getting my teaching license at nights, I want to teach at a private school. You don't get as many benefits as a teacher, but the materials and opportunities you can have in your classroom and outside of the classroom are absolutely superb! I haven't worked with students since then, until now. It was a little overwhelming yesterday, but today was amazing. I felt like I once again felt right at home. Children just bring such happiness to my life. The things they say, their imaginations and creativity, their innocence, their love, are just some of the many reasons why I love them.

So I'm excited for this line of work for my future. I cannot wait to have my very own classroom and watch my students grow every single day!! It will be the greatest gift.

Teaching is the profession that teaches all the other professions. ~Author Unknown

A good teacher is like a candle - it consumes itself to light the way for others. ~Author Unknown

While we try to teach children all about life; children teach us what life is all about.~Angela Schwindt

“Childhood is measured out by sounds and smells and sights, before the dark hour of reason grows.” ~John Betjemen.

Those are some quotes I found and really like about children and teaching. Being a teacher really is such a blessing and a gift - the ability to shape children's futures, and for them to shape ours. We can learn so much from them, if we take time to listen, and join them in their imagination.

I hope everyone has had such a wonderful Tuesday :) Thanks again for all the comments! I love hearing your thoughts.

xo.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad there are people like you in the world. There are so few individuals who are truly able to teach and teach well. It's not a job, it's a profession and if you don't have that adoration that is so obvious in your words, you'll never be a teacher that will TRULY touch the lives of those little ones. I've been through SO many teachers in my daughters 18 years of life and sadly have only known TWO who had that passion you show, and those were the years my daughter excelled and was happy and did well and I give them credit for that. Kids know if you care and you're going to have some lucky kids to have you in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am after school teacher myself so this post was a great read! i started out as a day care assistant myself! and lovely quotes by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna - thank you so much for your kind words. I honestly cannot wait to do what I love every single day :)

    Fariha - It's going to be great!! I love the quotes as well.

    Thanks ladies.
    xo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yah! i am so happy that you are doing what you love! xoxo jcd

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do not have the patience to be a teacher and I am pretty patient, so I have the most respect for people like you who can handle a couple dozen kids at a time and actually TEACH them while you are at it! So fun that you know this is your calling- what a great thing to know!

    ReplyDelete