Tuesday, August 23, 2011

The Life Lived

I went to Nancy's funeral today, and let me just express that besides my step-father's funeral, this was the most emotional thing I've ever been to. It's amazing how one life can touch so many others - it's inspiration at it's finest. It was also an honor, because the family asked if they could put my poem A Shining Jewel, in the program. People came up to me saying, "Jessica you are an amazing writer and have true talent...never stop." It honestly was such an amazing feeling to be acknowledged in doing something I love to do. And I just hoped I made a positive impact in other's lives, like Nancy has made on my life.

You need to realize what life is all about in these situations. It isn't the messy relationships, feeling fat, doing bad on a test, running out of money, getting in a fight, etc. It's about the people you meet, the choices you make, and the journey to the destination you'll make.

People like Nancy give us courage by living each day as if it were their last and sadly, in a lot of cases, like Nancy and Greg...their days are numbered. But it can show us, the people who don't know when that day will come (hopefully not until we're old in our beds), that we need to live each moment instead of letting the moments pass us by. Also, Nancy showed us that you need to love everything and everything with a full heart, forgive, and to smile and laugh often.

Be thankful for the life you've been dealt and make the best of it. We are all here for a reason and it's time to find out what the point of our life is; what our destiny has in store. We cannot be afraid of the small things in life; fear can cloud happiness and joy - but it is okay to feel. 


I was browsing and saw some quotes and sayings I really liked:

 Those are just some things that caught my eye. They can go out for inspiration, life lessons, teachers (yay), writers (double yay), and believing in yourself. Words make a huge impact I've realized, and that's another reason I'd love to be a writer. Apparently people believe in me, and you know what? I believe in me too. With that being said - please check out my new writing blog: The Written Word

A different change of news, is that I have a job interview tomorrow for somewhat of a teaching job. The organization is called: Bricks 4 Kidz and it's actually really neat! This is an after school program and I'd be able to teach children (just like I wanted). It's a hands on approach to building/architecture with Legos. You teach a different lesson, and then they build along with what you teach. They work in groups or alone and create and use their imagination. This is only a part-time job for me right now, and I'm going to keep putting out my resume for teaching jobs, and will probably substitute teach on the side. I'm tackling this approach because I still want to move out of Utah, so I am also going to be researching and traveling different places a lot. I don't want anything too concrete or I feel as though I'll be stuck. Also, I know it's crazy, but I'm even thinking about doing grad school next year already. I feel as though I'm a school person (maybe that's why I want to be a teacher). But also, I want to focus on writing and the novels I've started. I want to attend conferences, workshops and other writing tool programs that will help me on my path.

Like Nancy showed us, we need to go after what we believe and dream in. In doing so, it makes life worth while.

xo.

6 comments:

  1. What an inspiring post!! My heart goes out to you, Nancy's family, and anyone else that is hurting/missing her :(
    And good luck with your interview!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for your loss. It is amazing to realize the huge impact that people have had on our lives though. And I truly believe that you have impacted so many people with your beautiful writing. Good luck with your new job and thanks for all the inspiring quotes and thoughtful message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm sorry for your loss :( That's great that your poem was used to touch other's though. I'm sure it gave them comfort.
    I know I don't know you in person, but from just reading you blog, I know that you are an inspiring person! I love that Rowling quote too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the C.S. Lewis quote .. "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.."

    Last year I was in an undergraduate class with an 86 year old man. He simply decided after he retired he wanted to finally get a bachelors degree. Why not, right?

    Sorry for your loss, but always be thankful for your reflections!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO many wise words. This post is such an inspiration to me. The quotes are wonderful, and you have a beautiful way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so sorry for your loss... there is no pain or emotion that comes close to loosing someone so i really, really feel for you =(

    This is a beautiful post, the quotes are beautiful and so are you and your blog =)

    now following x

    http://hayleyhour.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete