Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Choices for the Future

Have you ever felt like your choices really affect the outcome of your future? Yea, that's life. And that's how I feel right now.

I've been thinking a lot about teaching and how it will affect my future. There are 3 major routes I can go with this:
  1. Getting my teaching license to teach at public, charter, and private schools. 
  2. Getting Montessori training and teach in my own style that I love at Montessori's, or charter Montessori's, or private schools. 
  3. Getting my Master's Degree with both of these options, or not at all. 
One is the "traditional way" and I think when I was younger, it's how I saw myself teaching. But as I went through college, and went to observe schools and taught in private schools, I saw I wasn't loving what the traditional way had to offer anymore. The preschoolers in private schools, were more advanced, then some of the kindergarteners in public schools. Something I loved about private schools, was that they were more hands-on and creative vs the public where they did worksheet after worksheet. 

I'm an extremely creative person, I have been since I was able to move around! I think I've always looked outside the box, and maybe that's why I had such a hard time in school growing up. I didn't do well on tests, or in math. And instead of teaching me the way I needed to be taught, they passed me along. Now I struggle in some areas, especially with certain types of "standardized-tests." That's a big reason I don't know about the teaching license. The Praxis Series exams are one I'm not sure I can pass. I had such a hard time with the ACT tests, and I realize, that maybe I'm facing these difficulties for a clear reason...a message. I wasn't supposed to teach that way. 

When I picture my "dream-kindergarten-classroom," I picture no desks. I picture everything at the child's level. The room is bright with lots of windows. Their work is everywhere, and it may seem cluttered but it's not, it's their classroom, and they're showing it off. I want little centers in every area and the curriculum in which they want (beneficial) to their growth. I don't want to sit there and shove information in their heads; I want my students to be able to explore and learn from experience. I still want them to gain the skills a child should for learning and their future, but I want to meet every child's needs. I don't want them left behind. Not like I was. 

So when I put it that way, I see that the Montessori route is the way to go. I would like to get my Master's Degree in Education as well. Someday, if I do Montessori training and it's not for me however, I could always go back and gain my teaching license. But for now I feel as though my heart is leading me in this direction. I just hope I'm not making the wrong choice. 

All I want is to teach, but I want to teach in a way that I love and I think is right. This is my opinion. You all may disagree with me, and that's okay. It's my choice. 

I just remember when I was student teaching in a kindergarten class in college, I fell in love with the centers and how the teachers taught their students. It was definitely the Montessori way. They aren't empty vessels we need to fill. Children can surprise you with their knowledge. 
 Anyways, I probably will be doing the Montessori training this summer, but another thing I'm not sure about, is which age group:
  •  3-6
  • 6-9
I would honestly do either, I have more training with younger children and love preschool-kindergarten age students. But I wonder if I could teach more with the elementary level children. Hm...here we go again, choices, choices. 

Then I have to decide if I want to get my Master's Degree now, or later. If I did it with this program, I'd have to take 4 more classes...not to bad. But I could always go back and get that as well. I would rather start working full time I think, then go to school for 2 more years right now. 

Anyways, enough on that. Here are some pictures from Easter :)
I had the best french toast from Market Street Grille. Mmm! 

It really is a beautiful location!! After Market Street, we watched The Masters! Yay for Bubba. I need to go golfing. Hopefully get better at it!!

This week is a busy one, have to get transcripts from college, got rid of a lot of old clothes, need letters of recommendation, go observe Montessori's, talk with different Montessori's, talk with college about program, clean house, get ready for Greek Easter, birthdays (Lex, brother Landon's, and my dad's next week). Busy, busy, busy. It's okay. I personally like to stay busy!

I do want to do some fun things this summer such as: Vegas, Moab, Bear Lake, the beach, camping, and more. It better happen!!!

I was definitely happy that Glee was back on last night! I loved that Blaine sang so much, and his brother had a great voice too. Loved these songs:
Least I have Zumba tonight and I'm hanging with my boy before he goes out of town. Have a great Wednesday everyone!!

4 comments:

  1. Awesome blog!! I love it!! Go get um!! Nice pictures BTW!! You are invited to check out or follow my blog anytime!!! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many life choices, but only you know what is right for you! And like you said you can always go back. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how I wished you were here to teach my son. His K teacher was a drag. He got nothing out of kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your blog! Thanks for stopping by my blog! Looking forward to reading more about you!! :)

    ReplyDelete